Vegan Avocado Pesto Pasta

Vegan Avocado Pesto Pasta

Something most people do not realize is that pesto sauce is not vegan-friendly. I did not know this either until a recipe popped up on my timeline suggesting a vegan option. Upon further research (googling) pesto contains either Parmigiano-Reggiano or pecorino Sardo. Which is parmesan cheese from cows milk or Fiore Sardo, a firmer cheese from Sardinia which is made from sheep's milk?. The recipe I chose to use is full of nutrients and protein from the spinach and avocado. Avocados alone have over 20 vitamins and minerals such as vitamin k and potassium, they are also loaded with good fats (omega-3s and omega 6-s) and fiber for a healthy gastrointestinal tract.

Ingredients:
  • 8 ounces of pasta
  • 1 avocado
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 1/2 cups of basil
  • 1 cup of spinach
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • 1/4 cup of cashews
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1/4 tsp salt
Directions:
  1. Have a pot of boiling water ready for the pasta. 
  2. Add all of the ingredients into a blender or food processor.
  3. Blend until smooth.
  4. Plate the pasta and add the pesto over top, can be served chilled or warm. 
  5. Top with tomatoes and basil for added flavor. 
*I added little balls of mozzarella cheese but for obvious reasons, someone that is a vegan would not.*

Comments

  1. Wow, not only does that sound delicious but looks delicious as well. Being that this is my first year living in an apartment and cooking for myself my meals have been very simple and basic. Reading the simple, healthy and easy recipes gives me confidence to cook better meals for myself. The directions are extremely simple to do. In due time I'll make more recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that looks delicious! One of my favorites is Pesto Pasta and I had no clue it was not vegan friendly. Ill definitely be giving this recipe a try. Ive always really liked cooking so its always nice to see a new recipe and things you could add or change to your own. I had no idea that avocados had so many vitamins and minerals either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this looks awesome! I love to cook and prefer it over going out to eat any day so I am always looking for new recipes. This is something I will definitely try next time I meal prep! I had no idea that pesto was not considered vegan friendly so that is something good to know as my roommate is a vegan and we both always take turns cooking dinner!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts