Non-Traditional Vegan German Dinner

Non-Traditional Vegetarian German Dinner


Growing up my family are BIG meat-eaters. With every meal at least one dish if not more had some kind of meat in it. We also have a strong background in my family coming over from Germany and Hungary. Therefore a good many of our recipes are German. Based on the title of this post you can assume that I have had to make some changes along the way. Instead of pork or sausage bratwurst, I used a soy and plant-based bratwurst. The meat is usually cooked in the sauerkraut to soak up the juices, in order to supply to the dish with more flavor I added sauteed onions and sweet apples. 

Ingredients
  • 1 lb Sauerkraut
  • 2 Apples
  • 3 tbsp Brown sugar
  • 1 Yellow onion
  • 1 cup vegetable broth
  • 3/4 cup White wine
  • 1/2 cup Flour
  • 2 Eggs
  • 3/4 cup Water
  • Salt and butter to taste
Directions:
  1. In a large pan combined sauerkraut, apples, white wine, vegetable broth, and brown sugar. Allow to simmer on high heat for 30 minutes.
  2. Serve when ready.
  3. For the spaetzle mix together the flour, salt, water, and eggs until the consistency of pancake batter.
  4. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
  5. Using a spaetzle making tool ad the batter to the boiling water a little at a time. 
  6. The noodles only need 2-3 minutes to finish cooking.
  7. Remove from pan and rinse with cool water.
  8. Melt butter and season with salt, and serve. 
  9. In a pan warm up the plant-based sausage.

Comments

  1. This looks wonderful, I am extremely German, so these types of food are some of my favorites. I love anything with sauerkraut and sausage, so this recipe is right up my alley. I would just have to change the plant-based bratwurst into actual meat bratwurst or sausage. I look forward to trying this meal, so thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts